much ado about nothing

a blog about non-achievement

1.11.2006



I've found a new way to entertain myself.

I could give an arm and a leg for a great conversation about nonsense, philosophizing over the most stupid things around us. I often catch myself fully engaged in justifying some bullshit I totally disagree with myself, yet winning the argument was too much joy for me to give up on. One thing I could never ever bear, was silence.

I've learned to like silence. Now I throw in a word, a sentence at most. The right word indicates the flaw in my own argument, the very idea I need to defeat to win the argument. Then I sit back, sip on my glass and glance over to the opposition in an excruciating silence. All there is to do is wait, eventually he gives in, criticizes my word, criticizes himself, says another thing, takes it back, raises his voice, lowers it, smiles, stares at me, then finally says it, and I hear my own words coming out of his mouth; Bingo, and the monologue is over.

Then comes the next topic, and I throw in one more word, or a sentence. I never realized why I was so scared of silence, now I know : It's utterly powerful. Saying absolutely nothing is the ultimate winning strategy. Try it, silence works, and it's wonderfully entertaining to watch its demolishing power, one stab at a time. You know what they say, if you can't fight'em, join'em.

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger linda said...

reminds me of a high school buddy...
when we had nothing better to do with our lives.. she would tell me, now watch it.. and she would find somebody and stare at that person with a smile for a while...
People will beg her to stop, and she was just like.. but i am doing nothing.. how do u want me to stop it??
Oh god... now i wanna go give that crazy gal a call,and i dont know talk about nothing...

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Sh. said...

not sure if silence works the same way over the phone, I mean hey I don't even listen when the other party's talkin, let alone if he'd go mute...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home